Monday, January 25, 2010

Cleaner Praying Mantis

So, thanks to some great information I was able to fix my weird leg issue. Apparently the only thing that was wrong was that there were double points. It's a quick fix that really makes a difference.

Sunday, January 24, 2010


Difficulties arose during the creation of the mantis. One of them, as you can see by the picture was the rendering of the mantis. I have no idea why the front legs look like that or how to go about fixing it. The rest of the issues came about in the modeling aspect of the mantis. I had to scrap my first attempt due to a fault from the first hour of modeling. In the second mantis I got to a point where I couldn't scale anything. Something which I'm sure is a quick fix but not knowing how to fix it really doesn't help. Needless to say, it caused some problems down the line. Aside from that and a few other missteps I was able to finish the mantis. I'm rather pleased by how it turned out, it looks kind of menacing.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

In Class Work

Bananas in space. The assignment was to learn how to unwrap an object then put a texture/pattern on it. The stem was rather tricky, as was the bottom. Trying to line up the seams in the connecting points proved difficult as well. There are areas that I think could be tighter, but overall I'm rather pleased with how it turned out, it looks like a banana.

In Class Work

An in class assignment to learn how to incorporate objects in to real places. I made red cow head put into a real space. I like the shadow.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010


To practice unwrapping I chose a bottle and a cup. For the bottle I made a seam in the back and then added the porcelain pattern to it. For the cup, I unwrapped it along two of the sides as opposed to one along the back. I wanted to try different ways to unwrap a similar object. Also with the cup pattern I had to arrange the unwrapped cup on the image to get the right part of the pattern to show up where I wanted it to be placed on the cup.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010


I went through several different arrays before I finally settled on one that I liked enough to post. I had some difficulties in creating the array, but it was an interesting process that I think is worth practicing.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Home Object part II

Here is the toothbrush. An improvement over the model from the previous post, it actually resembles my toothbrush pretty closely.
I still have trouble with the lighting, it's something I'm going to have to work on.

Monday, January 11, 2010

Home Object

Model of a toothbrush.

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Screwdriver II

I wasn't really happy with how my first screwdriver came out. I believed I could do better, so to prove to myself that I could, I made another screwdriver. I think this one turned out better, however I'm still not entirely pleased with how the tip came out. There are still aspects that need work, but at least I'm improving, even if only slightly.

Thursday, January 7, 2010


Assignment number two, a screwdriver.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010


First attempt.